Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Baking My First Chicken


Or How I Found Myself Stuffing Lemons Up a Chicken's Rear

I don't usually cook any meat that has a bone in it. Especially a whole chicken. But it was free so I figure what the hey. I was going to make Hubby do all the raw chicken touching anyhow.

So this morning Hubby got out the chicken, seasoned it, and took the icky parts out. He followed a recipe. I was informed that all I had to do was stuff a lemon and some garlic inside and put it in the oven. Not a whole lemon, it was clarified that I needed to cut the lemon up first. Uh huh.

"It said it needed thyme but we didn't have any so I used the cocoa chili seasoning."
Chocolate, on chicken.

Fast forward to a trip to the store for lemons, garlic, and potatoes because apparently the chicken needs to be on a bed of potatoes. Ingredients purchased and on home to work on the chicken.

Said chicken looked as though it had been dipped in chocolate. As I was scraping this off I noticed that there was in fact something still inside the chicken. I'm pretty sure I removed a heart and half a kidney. Who knows. I ended up having to give the chicken a bath in the sink to wash the rest of the seasoning off.
Munchkin decided to join me as I was stuffing lemons and garlic cloves into the chicken.
"Does that feel good?" Munchkin asks.
"Yeah probably not but it'll taste good."
I finished seasoning the bird only to be told by Munchkin that it needs something else.
"It's fine."
"No, it said it needs something. Listen"
A high pitch voice says, "I need something else."
Oh, the chicken talks. Well then, I threw on a little extra seasoning.
I cut up some veggies, tossed in oil and seasoning, and dumped it on the chicken.
So somehow, just stuff a lemon in there and put it in the oven turned into a lot of work.



No comments:

Post a Comment